The Arts Depot, Virginia Highlands Festival, and William King Museum of Art are creating a special opportunity for regional artists.
"Paint the Town" is a plein air paint out and pop-up gallery that offers you a place to
> Sell your work
> Network with fellow artists and collectors
> Support three important art venues
Event Date: Saturday, May 19
10 AM – 3 PM plein air paint out throughout downtown Abingdon ($20 registration required/$10 for students)
3 - 4:30 PM plein air workshop taught by Kyle Buckland at the William King Museum of Art (FREE, no registration required to attend only this workshop)
5 – 7 PM Pop-up gallery and cocktail party at the William King Museum of Art (FREE with art sales and the awarding of prizes)
Artist participants receive:
- One free entry into the 2018 Virginia Highlands Festival Juried Fine Art competition (intake days are July 21 & 22)
- The opportunity to sell up to three artworks at the pop-up gallery (50/50 split with the Virginia Highlands Festival, space permitting, and one of them may be from the paint-out that day)
- Name and gallery affiliation (if any) on Festival website and social media posts
- Chance to win $500 First Prize and other prizes that night, as judged by Kyle Buckland
- Top three paintings as judged by Kyle Buckland will be displayed at the WKMA during the 2018 Virginia Highlands Festival
- Other prizes and freebies TBD
Artwork sold that night at the Pop-Up Gallery cocktail party will be subject to a 50/50 split with the Virginia Highlands Festival. These proceeds will fund future Paint the Town events, the Festival's Juried Fine Art competition, and other regional fine art initiatives of the Virginia Highlands Festival. We are grateful for the support of our artist community in making this possible. As such, there will be no tickets required to attend the Pop-Up Gallery party--all are welcome! Invite your friends, family, and fans! The evening will feature music by One Leg Up, drinks, and snacks from Anthony's Desserts.
To view the complete paint-out guidelines for artists, click HERE
. We will have copies on hand for each artist to sign. A detailed schedule and additional instructions for the day will be emailed to participants one week prior to the event.
For more information about our fantastic juror and plein air instructor, please visit kylebuckland.com.